body#layout #outer-wrapper { width:760px; margin-$startSide: 0px; margin-$endSide: 0px;

Thursday 1 May 2008

Two hundred mourners attend Mark Speight’s funeral

.Posted by heatworld on Monday 28 Apr 2008

The funeral for tragic TV presenter Mark Speight has taken place today – with around 200 friends and family members turning up to pay their respects. Mark’s dad Oliver spoke at the service in Wolverhampton, and said he thought of his son as a Pied Piper figure who took children on a “magical mystery tour of art.” He said that Mark was a poet, comedian and artist who made everyone smile. “You leave here with the adoration of those 7,000 children that e-mailed the BBC and who miss you today – sleep well in eternity, you have earned your rest,” he said. SMart presenter Mark’s body was found at an office building next to London’s Paddington station two weeks ago, along with two suicide.

I was ever so shocked on the day I just heard the news of Mark Speight going missing. I have always had a soft spot for him. I recollected all the times I baby sat to his show for my friends or relatives kids many a time over the years. It was a must of Babysitting I HAD TO SIT IN THE MIDDLE OF THEM AND WATCH. (secretly I loved and enjoyed Smart as because of my love for What Tony Heart meant to me as I grew up to his show called 'Take Heart'.

Even when I was holidaying in Australia my younger cousins sat down every afternoon and religiously watched Smart (only time they were quiet and sat still). It was real funny when one day they called me over very proud of having a programme they could relate to and wanted so much to share with me. I couldn't help laughing out loud and explained to them of how I knew of Smart. How I always baby sat to Smart, my friends kids absolutely loved it too.


I loved Smart because of Mark. . . Mark was SO enthusiastic beyond the belief of just entertaining his viewers. A 'Monkey on hot bricks is the best phase that comes to mind'. His fantastic art skills that pushed the boundaries of materials you wouldn't, couldn't possibly dream of using. Marks child like qualities related to all the children that watched with great interest.

Mark approached his tasks of the show so simplified that every child who watched developed the confidence in understanding that they felt that they could try it as soon as the show finished. (I should know as I was always goaded to help my friends children and then my younger cousins when I was out in Auss...to do just what Mark had demonstrated so competently and easily).

You never ever felt that Mark was mearly a presenter. He radiated his enjoyment of taking part in the show. You always felt he loved his responsibilities of doing the show to the best of his artistic abilities. Approached the show with such entertainment and laughter which is what made him such a hit with young viewers I feel.

Like me many people must have prayed and hoped for his safety as time went by. Thought that he JUST WANTED SOME TIME TO HIMSELF...get his head together, thoughts on what to do next, where he is at etc..in order. Because of the tragic loss of his girlfriend he felt so very much no doubt.

Then. . .The tragic news of Mark taking his own life. I was SHOCKED like many a person who heard no doubt. I can only describe as being at his lowest ever and sheer desperation. What love he must have had for his fiancée Natasha Collins, someone he lost meant so so so much to him. Mark had friends as we have read about. He had family also who loved and cared for him. Yet he felt obviously beside himself in someway of not being able to go on, live without her.

A REAL TRAGEDY. . I SAY. ONE OF LIFE'S WHY AND WHAT FOR.....

MARK... TO YOU I SAY A HUGE THANKYOU (If you can hear this) FOR BEING JUST YOU. YOUR STAY ON EARTH MEANT A LOT TO MILLIONS WHO GOT TO TUNE INTO YOU, KNOW YOU, AND LOVE YOU. . . R E S T I N P E A C E. .

But to me I felt if I could only take something out and learn from this story.... I have promised myself to keep in touch MORE with my friends and those closest to me. Make sure that I have that ear to listen to their needs, hurts and pains that life gives at the most unexplained moment. Make sure that they know that I care, how much they mean to me and that I love them dearly to know THAT I AM ALWAYS THERE FOR THEM. . . .

MY BOYFRIEND ESPECIALLY. . HOW MUCH HE REALLY MEANS TO ME. IMPORTANT TO ME AND I LOVE BEYOND HE CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE. THAT IF I HAVE EVER UNCONSCIOUSLY HURT HIM IN ANY WAY THAT IT CERTAINLY WAS NOT INTENTIONAL.

As life can and tends to take over, we can so get caught up in our own thoughts words and actions that comes across as mean and uncaring. Selfish even. But promising to be there for someone,letting them know that you care and love them. Spending that quality time even with them.

I feel. . .can stop one more person thinking WHAT IS THE POINT. . .

Life is too short for drama & petty things!

So laugh insanely.

Love truly and forgive quickly! X X X

No comments: